DesireesShelves

Rebekah Harkness
Ocean of Fear
Helen Hanson

Game Addiction: The Experience and the Effects

Game Addiction: The Experience and the Effects - Neils Clark, P. Shavaun Scott Interesting book on gaming addiction and it's effects. Somewhat scholarly, not easy beach reading. Would recommend to any game addict or gaming widow.

The author points out that intermittent reinforcement is the most powerful way to keep people engaged in a repetitive activity. I've known that all along, as do the people who make games like WOW and sell us things like lottery tickets and slot machines. You never know what you are going to get, if anything. I was totally addicted to Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast, way before internet gaming took hold of most of us. The addicting part of the game, to me, was the loot that the enemies dropped when they were killed. By the designers placing rare items, it kept you playing! I am afraid to pick up WOW as I would imagine all my other hobbies and activities would totally cease! :-)

Another interesting part of the book talks about how any addiction is an escape defense mechanism. When things in real life aren't going your way, it's easy to escape into these worlds and numb yourself to everything else around you. After my mother died, I remember becoming obsessed with my Playstation, mainly because it was a way for me to not feel the pain for a little while.

"The American Medical Association actually recommends that kids have no more than one to two hours a day of "screen time," time spent in front of the television or computer screens." Wonder how many kids or people fit into this category? Especially with games and the net going mobile, we all seem to be connected all the time!

Definitely recommended!